purpose of this organization is to promote the implementation of
methods such as instant runoff voting and forms of proportional
We are a nonpartisan organization with members from across
We often work with FairVote
- the Center for Voting and Democracy, a national
organization with similar aims. A small portion of membership dues are
sent to FairVote.
CfER was founded in May of 1993, with 23 people signing
up. We now have several hundred members and several local chapters.
- We have campaigned for bills that have passed the legislature
(none yet signed into law) to make it easier for cities to adopt
Instant Runoff Voting.
- We participated in successful campaigns in 2004 and 2006 to bring
Instant Runoff Voting to Berkeley and Oakland.
- We helped run a successful campaign in 2002 to bring
Voting to San Francisco.
- We ran a campaign in 1996 in SF to adopt PR there. We lost,
but we see
it as the opening salvo in the quest for PR.
- We assisted with a successful ballot measure campaign to
enable use of
Instant Runoff Voting in Santa Clara County in 1998.
- We helped develop and run the first elections of the Local
Board of KPFA, the nation's oldest community-sponsored radio station.
- We frequently send speakers to radio shows and other
to spread the word about PR. We have also sponsored workshops on
- CfER members who are college students have helped their
governments adopt IRV and Choice Voting.
Local chapters and contacts
Warning: include(pagefoot.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/dbr/www/cfer.org/aboutus/index.php on line 99
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'pagefoot.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php52-fat-unsafe/lib/php:') in /home/dbr/www/cfer.org/aboutus/index.php on line 99